Thursday, January 21, 2016

2-Minute Movie Pitch for D.L. Orton's Crossing In Time (Between Two Evils #1)

OK, OK, I'm very busy so keep this short. 
You've got this book, Two Weevils? 
What is it about? Cotton Farmers? 

The name of the Series is "Between Two Evils." There are no Weevils.

Too bad. I was seeing a battle with
 giant Weevils against Vietnam Vets 
with a clandestine cargo of Agent Orange. 
Well, I might give that one to Legendary. 
So, back to your book.  
How did you come up with the idea?

I wanted to write a compelling love story that was the antithesis of Fifty Shades of Grey: No ditzes, no demigods, and no one-sided, power-driven sex.

What could you have against 
one-sided, power-driven sex? 
It's what drives this town. 
Well, that and scient... 
Ooops. Forget I said that.
(speaks loudly to his desk lamp) 
I  WAS GOING TO SAY 
"SCIENTISTS." 
Ok, give me the Teaser Pitch?

Fall into this edgy, action-packed, darkly comedic, dystopian love story, and be prepared to encounter a finicky time machine, a mysterious seashell, and a very clever dog (some sex, some swearing, some violence, but no vampires and absolutely no ditzes.)


I wonder if DiCaprio would be interested in the part of the dog.
Hey, Felipe! Get me DiCaprio on the phone.
(He's got a restraining order against you, remember?)
Sheesh, some guys just can't take a joke. 
I wish he'd stayed in that horse's belly.
Where were we? Oh, right.
Tell me about your hero
and how she changes in the book.

Step into Isabel’s lonely, cynical life, and against all odds, fall madly in love, let go of pessimism (even though it's the last lifejacket on a sinking ship), and race against the clock (without the proper footwear.) This is a coming of age story for old fogeys, a how to fall in love guide for diehard singles, and a laugh out loud tragedy with a hopeful twist.
Across the infinite expanse of space and time, love endures. (Unfortunately, it’s not going to be enough.)

Wow, I love that. 
You've hit every demographic 
except people with aluminum foil hats. 
Why did you pick this Title? 
I still prefer the Weevils, you know. 


I wanted something that captured both the time travel AND love story elements of the book (and included a bit of word play). CrossingIn Time can mean “finding someone before it’s too late” and also “moving through time.” Perfect!

I'll decide what's "perfect," young lady. 
It's Perfect!
What's the logline?

If someone took everything you live for, how far would you go to get it back?

Fantastic!
OK, let’s cut to the chase. 
Why should I, 
the Incredibly Rich and Handsome Publishing Mogul, 
buy this book?

Remember how it feels to Fall in Love?
Race against the clock through a dystopian nightmare.
·      Climb naked into an untested time machine (carrying only a seashell and a promise).
·      Wake up twenty years younger on a tropical beach, buck naked and mortally wounded, with your heart in your throat. 

This is a journey of passion, loss, and redemption that will have your pulse galloping and your palms sweating, make you laugh out loud through your tears, and leave you flush with the sublime pleasure of being in the arms of the one you love.


You had me at "naked in a time machine!"
Felipe, cut a check for 75 large.
We've got a MEGAHIT on our hands. 
Crossing in Time

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely changing the name of the book to "Weevils In Time" and I think the foil hat would be a nice touch. Look for it in book 2 (I'm serious!)

    Thanks for the laughs, Terry. You should write books! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I've reviewed it on Amazon, and also on Goodreads (where it needs a real cover image). If you're looking to do research on weevils, take a trip to Enterprise, Alabama. There you'll find the Boll Weevil Monument, a statue of a woman holding a pillow above her head. Upon the pillow is a larger-than-life likeness of a boll weevil. It's sort of a "don't put all your eggs in one basket" reminder. http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-2384

    I look forward to the upcoming books in the series.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think!